1 : the base of a number system or of logarithms
2 : the primary source
(We're going with definition 2, here.)
Radix “Packages” are similar to packages from other linux distributions… however, we're aiming to do something not like linux distributions: our vision for Radix Packages is that they go anywhere, with or without the rest of a distro associated with them.
A key part of the Radix project is to specify patterns and guidelines for software packaging and distribution which make the world simpler.
We already have a lot of “hard” problems solved by building on top of the Timeless Stack – we have hermetic builds; we have snapshottable indices; we have immutable distribution systems; and so on.
So what's left? The contents of the packages themselves, of course! Here are some attributes we'd like to ensure:
- all dependencies are from in the Timeless Stack; no unclean network fetches;
- the build is reproducible;
- the runtime dependencies are either bundled or clear (hash-linked);
- the product fileset is path-agnostic;
- when using shared libraries, any libraries are co-installable;
- the choice between packaging with shared libraries or using omnibus bundles should be a trivial choice (and not require recompilation!);
- post-install hooks are not permissible.
Radix is an early stage project. As such, the documentation stops here. Get in touch if you'd like to contribute :)